Friday, August 14, 2009

Shortbread Cookies

Please excuse the picture. Visit Pioneer Woman's website to see her beautiful pictures of this delectable dessert.

I found this delicious recipe by the Pioneer Woman.

Ingredients:
2 sticks + 2 Tbsp. butter
1 c. sugar
2 c. all-purpose flour
Scant 1 c. corn starch (this means a little less than 1 cup)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Cream butter and sugar together. Sift in flour and cornstarch. Combine using a pastry blender until the ingredients are all incorporated. Add one more tablespoon of butter if the dough seems really dry.
3. Form dough into a ball, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
4. Roll onto lightly floured surface and cut into rounds (or whatever shape of cookie cutter you want to use). Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking mat (I just put the cookies right on the cookie sheet, since I don't have either of these).
5. Bake for 20 minutes. Do not let the cookies brown. The edges should just have a very faint golden tinge.

These taste great just how they are. However, I like them even better drizzled with a little melted chocolate. Again, I got the idea from here.

Directions:
1. Melt some melting chocolates (I just used semi-sweet chocolate chips).\
2. Put the melted chocolate into a pastry bag with a fine tip (a Ziploc bag with the tip cut off works great, too). Drizzle over the cookies in whatever design you want.
3. Allow them to set at room temperature, or cool them in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
4. Once chocolate is completely set, serve with ice cream. I made ice cream sandwiches out of them. Yum!

Notes: I stored my cookies in the freezer. It kept the chocolate from getting too soft. Also, I like how they taste with a little chill to them. These make a very delicious summer treat!

No comments: