Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Simple Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:
2 eggs
3/4 c. granulated sugar
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted (you can substitute 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder and 1 Tbsp. oil for each ounce of unsweetened chocolate-this is what I did)
1/4 c. cooking oil
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. all-purpose flour
Sifted powdered sugar

Directions:
1. In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients except for flour, beating with an electric mixer until combined.
2. Gradually beat in the flour. If you are using a stand mixer, you should have no problem getting the four all mixed in. If you are using a hand mixer, you may have to stir in some of the flour by hand.
3. Pour batter into a greased cake pan. Bake at 375 degrees. Time will vary depending on pan size. I am not entirely sure, but I think my cake took about 20-25 minutes to bake. Just be sure to keep an eye on it, and take the cake out once an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
4. Allow cake to cool slightly. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Notes: This is adapted from the Chocolate Crinkles recipe found in the Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book. I altered it to make it more cake-like. The cake is a little more dense. I think that if I play around with this recipe some more, I could make it a little more light and fluffy. It was still very tasty, though!

No comments: